Running safety is increasingly important, as stories abound of runners being injured on a
daily basis. Taking the correct precautions to keep you safe during your run is not only easy, but
necessary. Consider these tips to keep you injury-free when you go out for a run.
- Run with a buddy.
- If you must run alone, tell somebody when and where you will be running.
- Carry a tube of Mace or pepper spray, just in case.*
- Bring an ID and a few dollars in cash with you.
- Wear reflective or lighted clothing if running at night.*
- Stay hydrated.
- Try to eat something 1-2 hours before you run so that you are nourished but don’t get
- Dress for the weather. Layer up when it’s cold and wear wicking, lightweight clothes in hot weather. *
- Reduce the risk of injury by getting fitted for the right pair of shoes.*
*Stop by Running Excels for self-defense spray, reflective clothing, seasonal running clothes, or
a personal shoe fitting. We also invite you to pick our brains for more tips on running safety!